Friday, April 18, 2008

The Great Radio Controversy (and a new Living article)

I should have known SOMETHING would have happened on my Kamikaze Komedy Radio appearance (promoting singles night, hosted by myself and Dawn Dumont April 22 at The Comic Strip), but it really wasn't what I expected.

Before I get to that, allow me to present my latest Living article here. It's on the perils of Facebook. As some of you may recall, I've been active on this issue for some time.

In fact, while we're at it, let's get the updates out of the way...


Upcoming Comedy
Tuesday, April 22 - SINGLES NIGHT - The Comic Strip, Edmonton

Upcoming Teaching
Dating for Shy Guys and Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy - For details go to www.metrocontinuingeducation.ca

Upcoming Writing
Living Articles in the Edmonton Journal (current Living article is here)

Dan Brodribb's headLINES appears every Monday in the Edmonton Journal's ed online. Current headLINES is here

A Pair of Singles (co-written with Dawn Dumont) Current article is here


Where was I?

Oh yeah. On the radio. The show, hosted by Lars and Powermann was fun, but even my one-thirty in the morning relationship "wisdom" was undercut by possibly the greatest caller question I've ever heard.

The question was...

Wait for it...

"Where am I?"

Unbelievable. A guy called the radio station because he was lost. Powermann, Lars, and I kept looking at each other, our eyes silently asking the same question: Is this really f***ing happening?

What makes it slightly funnier is that he picked the exact wrong people to call as far as orienteering goes. Powermann and I have always depended on the kindness of the Edmonton Transit System to get from place to place (Powermann has a really funny joke about this) and Lars' sense of direction...well, it isn't as bad as Andrew Grose's, but I wouldn't want to get lost in the woods with him.

(In fairness to Lars, he gave me a ride home after the show. The show ended at 2:00am, and I stepped into my apartment at 2:08. So his sense of direction may not always be 100%, but for sheer velocity, he's unstoppable. And I've never seen him late for a show either)

Anyway, with Lars and I paralyzed with disbelief, it fell upon Powermann to carry the day. Being the helpful guy he is, he immediately did what any good samaritan would do...attempted to have phone sex with the guy's date on the air.

Good times.

A couple of the other best exchanges took place off the air as Powermann continued to harangue me about dating...well, dating him (This will make more sense if you read this post first).

POWERMANN: So, when you have romantic congress, is that like co-middling?
ME: No, because I do more time before I get off and she doesn't die every night.

Actually, that still won't make any sense to any non-comedian. Another inside comedy joke happened when a caller called in and Lars gave him 45 seconds to make his point.
He did it in 34 (Powermann was timing) leading to the following exchange.

DAN: Hey, he finished with eleven seconds to spare.
POWERMANN: No, that's bad. He didn't do his time.
LARS: Now we have to cover that eleven seconds.

OTHER RANDOM STUFF
I've re-exploring my childhood lately. A couple nights ago I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (featuring the video and the band that got me into heavy metal).

I also started re-reading Animals, but John Skipp and Craig Spector. It's a great book about werewolves, bad decisions, and romantic entanglements, and it's interesting how I relate to it much better now that I'm a little older and have more life experience under my belt (well, except for the being a werewolf part).

Have a great weekend everyone

No comments: