Friday, May 02, 2008

Dan Keeps His Mouth Shut...kind of

The reason for the lack of updates is I had a Story happen the last couple days.

It's a car crash story(*)...so awful it's compelling, and nobody comes out of it looking good.

I really really really really want to tell it.

But I won't. Not yet, anyway.

I don't mind making myself look bad, but a couple of the other people involved...well, I won't say they DESERVE better, but I don't believe in writing sh*t about people who can be identified...especially private citizens (as opposed to comedians, musicians, and wrestlers who love seeing their name in print). Bad Karma.

Besides, in a weird sort of way, I'm grateful to them. If not for them, I wouldn't have this story, so I'll respect their privacy.

Not only that, I really believe their hearts are in the right place and the last thing I want to do is embarass anybody.

I still think it's a good story though. Which is why it kills me not to tell it.

I'll give it some time, change some details, and the story will come out once enough weeks have passed I don't think anyone will be able to identify the parties involved.

Fortunately, Lurch was kind enough to give me permission to tell one of his latest adventures. For background information on Lurch, click here.

For those of you who are too lazy to click the link, here's the nutshell version. Lurch is a guy I know who has super-powers when it comes to attracting women to him only to be thwarted by fate at the moment of truth.

Here's Lurch with the details:

LURCH'S STORY: THE TRIALS OF SISYPHUS CONTINUE

"It started like any other night. I meet this girl, she's good to go. I'm like, 'hey, I'll give you a ride home.'

It turned out, she lived in the middle of nowhere.

I'm like, "Who's your neighbour, the Blair Witch?"

But whatever. I'm thinking, 'who cares. It's So on. I'm going to get laid FOR SURE. There is no way this cannot happen."

I got to her place. There's another car parked out front.

I'm like, "oh, you got a room-mate?"

She goes, "No. I live with my dad. He's a cop."

She hands me twenty bucks, says 'thanks for the ride,' and just like that, she's gone."


The Trials of Sisyphus continue.

(*)Metaphorically. No real cars were harmed.


Upcoming Comedy
Monday, May 5 - The Comic Strip
Tuesday, May 20 - SINGLES NIGHT - The Comic Strip, Edmonton

Upcoming Writing
Living Articles in the Edmonton Journal (current Living article is here)

Dan Brodribb's headLINES appears every Monday in the Edmonton Journal's ed online. Current headLINES is here

A Pair of Singles (co-written with Dawn Dumont) Current article is here.

No comments: