Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hard Work and Moustache Update

Upcoming Comedy
Wednesday, October 10 - The Comic Strip, Edmonton
Thursday, October 11 - The Comic Strip, Edmonton
Tuesday, November 6 - New City Lounge, Edmonton

Upcoming Living Articles in the Edmonton Journal: TBA

Upcoming Teaching
Dating for Dudes (three Tuesdays, starting November 13)
Learn more at www.metrocontinuingeducation.ca


Dan Brodribb's headLINES appears every Monday in the Edmonton Journal's online ed magazine. Current headLINES is here.

A Pair of Singles with Dawn Dumont appears in ed Magazine. Current article is here.


Went to the final open mic at the Riverside Pub in St. Albert last night. It's a tough room, but a good time. I'm osrry to see it go. I owe a lot to my nights at the Riverside. There were nights I wouldn't even want to go because I knew what a challenge it would be, but every night I went up, I was glad I did. LARS and I were talking about this phenomenon yesterday. The good rooms are fun, but the rough ones are satisfying. In the words of the legendary Arn Anderson: "Adversity introduces a man to himself."

One of the most rewarding things about comedy is that it is one of those things where working hard pays off. Onstage, at least, it really is a meritocracy. The people who make that extra effort to show up and hone their craft seperate themselves from the pack. For myself, I notice. When I'm lazy on stage or don't put the effort in to hit open mics, it shows in my act. But when I dedicate myself and challenge myself I see measurable improvement.

I am also seeing signs of growth on my moustache, but over all it is not encouraging. This may have been a mistake.

Shameless Plug Department.

The latest Pair of Singles is up. Check it out here.

I'm performing at The Comic Strip tonight. Show starts at 8pm, so come check it out.

No comments: