Friday, February 04, 2005

Tuesday Night Posse

Every Tuesday at Edmonton's Londonderry Yuk Yuks, eight or nine aspiring comics step up to the mic to try and hone their skills. I expect I'll have a lot to say about these people, so here are some quick profiles.

J.P. Fournier--The cuddliest angry man ever, according to one female friend of mine. He's a smart guy who gave me some great feedback on my first sets. I repaid him by misspelling his name in a column I wrote. Yes, that's right. I got 'Navin Pratap' right and screwed up J.P. Go figure.

Sean Baptiste--A former pro-wrestler turned comedian.

Steve McCarthy--the man who introduced me to comedy after seeing me MC at my brother' s wedding. For this, his place in Hell is assured.

Navin Pratap--He's kind of a Hindu Eddie Murphy. Nice guy, too.

Angie Ismond--One of my favorite of the crew to watch. Even when she tanks--which happens less than you'd think considering her unwillingness to write, rehearse, or prepare--she's entertaining to watch and you're always on her side. She also has one of the best penis jokes I've ever heard (no small feat in a world where dick jokes are considered coin of the realm), although she hasn't--ahem--pulled it out in a while.

Nick Roy--I don't think I've ever talked to him, but he's a Tasmanian devil on stage, and another favorite of mine to watch, even though I could never get away with saying the things he does.

Don Campbell-Don also says things I would never dare to try. My current favorite by him finishes with the words "he's a little slow to get down," so listen for it if you get a chance to see him. I don't know why I like that joke so much. I guess that's one of the mysteries of comedy--you can't explain taste.

Bill Gee-I don't know why, but Bill's stuff really speaks to me. It's not the humour in his act, it's the Truth. He's honest about himself up there, and that's not always the easiest thing to do.

Max Mault--Words do not describe this guy. He's just...I'll get back to you on him.

No comments: