Friday, October 10, 2008

Dan's Underground Comedy Tour Comes Above-Ground


Upcoming Comedy
Tuesday, October 7 - The Comic Strip, Edmonton
Wednesday, October 15 - The Comic Strip, Edmonton
Tuesday, October 21 - The Comic Strip, Edmonton

Upcoming Living Columns in the Edmonton Journal
Friday, October 17
Friday, October 31
Current Living article is up here.

Dan's musings on shyness and relationships can be found at hotchicksandstrangers.blogspot.com


Longtime readers might remember Dan's Underground Comedy Tour where I told jokes in the LRT station.

Just for fun, I decided to revisit the experiment, telling jokes in public.

It was not like riding a bike. It was tough to do again. I may have to make it a semi-regular part of my practice (yes, comedians DO practice--at least, I do) because I find I get so much out of it.

I did notice people were more inclined to stop and watch this time. Maybe it was the location; maybe it was the fact some of them were lower traffic areas and people are more likely to stop when there isn't a big crowd (If you took social psychology in university, you'll know why).

But I also think some of it is me. My stage presence has improved that people are more inclined to stop and pay attention. Heck, that's what stage presence is--being compelling enought that people want to watch you without changing the channel.

I'm not saying I have the greatest stage presence in the world.

But I'm making progress.

To me that's the thing that counts the most.

No comments: