Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Lurch Needs A Blog

Upcoming Comedy
Tuesday, February 26 - The Comic Strip
Wednesday, February 27 - The Comic Strip
Thursday, February 28 - The Comic Strip
Friday, February 29 - The Comic Strip
Saturday, March 1 - The Comic Strip
Sunday, March 2 - The Comic Strip
Monday, March 17 - The Comic Strip

Upcoming Teaching
Dating for Shy Guys and Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy - For details go to www.metrocontinuingeducation.ca

Upcoming Writing
Current Living Article is up here

Upcoming Living Articles in the Edmonton Journal (Subject to change)
Friday, February 29
Friday, March 7

Dan Brodribb's headLINES appears every Monday in the Edmonton Journal's ed online. Current headLINES is here.

A Pair of Singles (co-written with Dawn Dumont) Current article is here


Went to the bar last night to celebrate Heavy Metal's birthday. Unfortunately, Heavy Metal wasn't there.

These things happen.

Fortunately, Lurch was.

Lurch has magic powers at attracting women from bars...and equally magic powers of getting...shall we say, tripped up at the finish line by unlikely events(*) when it comes to closing the deal.

Lurch needs a blog. These stories must be told.

"I'm Sisyphus," Lurch moaned to me as he was recounting his latest misadventures. "I get the rock almost to the top of the hill and..."

I was too busy laughing to hear the rest of the sentence. Not to mention the fact my mind was reeling at a) hearing an allusion to Greek mythology in a country bar and b) that it came from Lurch--who is known more for punching people and yelling "Douchebag!" at random moments than his education in the classics.

If I ever edit these blog posts, I'm changing his name to Sisyphus.

Other random stuff. There was some kind of weird retro night going on which meant a lot of the people at the bar were wearing clothes that they thought was from the 70s, 80s, or 90s, but just looked like random crap they found in a dress-up box to me.

I, of course, fit right in thanks to my Transformers t-shirt. Which would have been cool, had I been TRYING to dress up but I was just wearing my everyday clothes.

The bouncers were wearing these tie-dyed shirts. Unfortunately, I had no idea they were doing this, so I spent the first half hour wondering where the staff was.

Finally, I saw Big Jess and Massive Damage, two wrestlers that work there dressed in their tie-dyed finery and I clued in to what was happening. You haven't lived until you've seen pro-wrestlers dressed in tie-dye. It's like looking at the world's most intimidating Grateful Dead fans.

(*)It may also be that his charm is irresistable, but also weirdly short-lived. Dawn described him thusly: "When I first met him, I thought he was really interesting and attractive, but after thirty minutes I wanted to run him over with my car."

No comments: