Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Update

Upcoming Comedy
Yuk Yuks-September 21
Yuk Yuks-Sepember 24
The Comic Strip-September 25
The Comic Strip-October 16

-I've written a couple other articles for the MPW site under various noms-de-plume (Art McNeil, Dan Brodribb, "Devil" Ray Gagne) in the 'Inside MPW' section of www.monsterprowrestling.com. It's a different style of writing for me, and I love any opportunity to try something different and new.

-I could have learned a lesson from some of those wrestlers last week. One of the first and most basic business lessons young wrestlers are taught is that even if you show up to an event you aren't scheduled to work, bring your gear anyway, because there's always a chance that injuries or cancellations will result in an opportunity to get on the show. Last Tuesday, PAUL SVEEN offered me a five-minute guest spot on the Stan Thomson Benefit Show. I went up underdressed and underprepared, and though I had a decent set, it certainly wasn't the kind of impression I wanted to make in front of a crowd, not to mention a 'jury of my peers' that included some of the best and most succesful names in the local scene: PAUL MYREHAUG, PAUL SVEEN, WINSTON HERBERT, KERRY UNGER, SEAN LECOMBRE, ANDREW GROSE, and HOWIE MILLER. All in all though, it was a great show for a great cause, and showcased the best sides of the local comedy scene, not just as performers, but as people.

-ANDEW IWANYK has opened a 'alternative-comedy night' Thursday nights at Picard's Coffee House and Pub across from the downtown Grant MacEwan campus. Each week
he'll be hosting a funniest person on campus contest, so come on down and join the fun or cheer on your favorites. Last week I slipped past a Field of Champions featuring KATHLEEN MCGEE, NICK ROY, LARS CALLIEOU, and BRIAN HEGGE, only to be defeated in the finals--which was decided in a game of Tic-Tac-Toe--by KEVIN (don't know his last name) due to an act of treachery so heinous, the written word doesn't do it justice. Kevin is now the proud champion and is the current holder of the LUIGI statue (come down to Picard's and see it), but after coming so close, I'm determined to come back this week and take home the championship. Remember Kevin: You can run, but you can't hide, and the next time I walk in to Picard's Coffee House and Pub, I'm walking out the champion. Okay, now I know I've been spending to much time watching Monster Pro Wrestling.

-Got together with a bunch of comics this week for a writing group. TODD K organizes the group (ironically enough, he actually missed this week as he's quite busy with shows--check www.toddk.ca to see what he's up to), and it's great, if only because writing can be such a lonely business sometimes, it can be great to share tips and ideas with others who share the same passion. It's also great to get a 'sneak preview' of what other comics are working on. I won't spoil any surprises, but I will say this: SHAWN GRAMIAK and KATHRYN WHEATON have some very funny new bits. Check them out if you get a chance.

No comments: