Monday, June 23, 2008

New headLINES and Comedy Observation

I never get bored with comedy. Probably the two things I love most are 1)Working out new jokes and 2) Discovering interesting things about human nature and crowd psychology. Crowds have their own personalities--each one is different and fascinating.

Last night was a great example of 2). ANDREW IWANYK was onstage doing what Andrew does. Partway through his set, he got bogged down and he handled the situation in spectacular fashion. It was funny, honest, and commited, and it's a place I hope to consistenly reach in my own performances.

The audience didn't know this, of course. The audience didn't know HOW to react to what they were seeing. But I was so delighted, I started clapping.

Here's the interesting thing.

As soon as I started clapping, everyone else joined in. I don't even think they realized why they were doing it. Even Andrew remarked: "I'm not sure what you're clapping for, but I'll take it."

I don't have any great comedy lesson from that moment. I just found it neat.

Anyway, here are this week's headLINES.


Upcoming Comedy
Monday, July 7 - The Comic Strip, Edmonton
Thursday, July 24 - Rouge Lounge, Edmonton

Upcoming Writing
Living Articles in the Edmonton Journal (current Living article is here
Friday, July 4 - Living Section, Edmonton Journal
Friday, July 18 - Living Section, Edmonton Journal
Friday, August 1 - Living Section, Edmonton Journal


Dan Brodribb's headLINES appears every Monday in the Edmonton Journal's ed online. Current headLINES is here.

A Pair of Singles (co-written with Dawn Dumont) appears in the Edmonton Journal's ed online every Thursday. Current article is here.

No comments: