Monday, March 04, 2013

A Facebook Status and Some Thought on Performing

 A Facebook Status I wrote:

"You know those Eastern martial arts where they use your own momentum against you? My self-doubt is an aikido master. It's creative enough to use whatever I give it against me, resilient enough to never quit, and persistent enough to always be looking for opportunities. I am lucky to have such a creative, persisitent, and resilient force in my life--not to mention the chance to learn from such a Master of the Mental Martial Arts."

To which self-doubt replied, "That's not how you spell persistent."

He's a motherfucker, that Self-Doubt.

Hell of a speller though.

*  *  * 

In other news, I've been loving performing again.

I have a bunch of half finished posts on various bits of performance minutiae from MCing, to some vocal and timing things I picked up from wrestling, to the use of questions, and a bunch of other stuff. The reason they stay half finished is because it occurs to me that very very very few people care about this stuff other than me.

Then it occurs to me instead of writing about it, I should be practicing it.

I don't know how other performers feel, but I love practicing, and I'm starting to love it more and more.

If live performing is sex, then the show is the orgasm--It's exciting, indescribable, and over all too quickly. No sooner have you finished than you want another one. It's also the part that people who don't know any better spend a disproportionate amount of time focusing on.

Practice is foreplay. It doesn't get the same amount of attention, but once you learn to love it, that's when you really start to get good. If you give it the time and attention and presence...the shows--like the orgasms--will take care of themselves.

No comments: