Saturday, July 25, 2009

New Suicide Girls Article up (PLUS: Bonus Self-Indulgent Angst!)

New Suicide Girls article is up. It's on commitment and you can read it here.

On a completely unrelated note, I forgot about the anniversary of my brother's death.

Except maybe I didn't.

Over the past few shows, I've felt compelled to talk about him on stage. In keeping with my new attitude towards comedy, I'm going with it.

I'm conflicted.

The jokes about losing someone are not getting huge laughs. It's understandable. It's an awkward subject.

And yet when I DO do the bit, invariably someone will come up after the show and tell me about someone they've lost and how glad they are that someone is talking about it.

Which feels good somehow.

Losing someone suddenly is like being inducted into a secret club. No one who hasn't experienced it can really hope to understand how it feels. But no one knows who's in the club or not. There are no secret handshakes or membership rings.

So now I'm not sure whether to keep talking about it or not. Is the awkwardness by the rest of the crowd worth the reactions for the few people in the crowd who DO relate? It's like telling a joke about wrestling or another subculture. Not everyone gets it, but the people who DO get it, really get a lot out of it.

In other comedy news, the August 4 show is a theme show like the zombie show. The theme is religion. I like these shows because they force me to explore topics I might not otherwise devote time to.

Expect Buddhism jokes.

Upcoming Comedy
Tuesday, August 4 - New City - Edmonton

Upcoming Wrestling Appearances
Saturday, August 22 - OSCW August Action, Hazeldean Community Hall - Edmonton

Dan Brodribb's Geek Love appears every two weeks at www.suicidegirls.com. Current article is here.

More of Dan's musings on dating and relationships can be found on his Hot Chicks & Strangers blog.

2 comments:

Poetry of Flesh said...

You could start taking your comedy on the old folks' homes circuit. At least that bit.

Just make sure they don't laugh too hard. Don't want to kill anyone.

Dan_Brodribb said...

"Just make sure thy don't laugh too hard."

I can safely say that thus far, with this particular bit at least, people laughing too hard hasn't been a problem.

db